Friday, June 18, 2004

Todo Sobre Mi Madre

Everyone has lovely and sad stories about their relationship with their mums. I'm not close to my mum although I tell her everything, I still think that it's what a child should do, to talk to her, to keep in touch. I used to always had a hard time with my mum. During my adolescence time we'd have endless arguments and raws and we wouldn't talk to each other for days until my father came as the one who begged us not to keep this 'silent war' anymore. But usually, it was me who raised the white flag first. I just couldn't stand her ignoring me! Me and my mum are stubborn, it's obvious that I inherit that from her. I always think leaving home brings a good thing into our relationship : We stop arguing. Because I'm not close to my mum, I wonder what it is like. Ever since I was a child she was always against what I want. I still remember the sadness and disappointment I felt when she said NO to ballet and piano lessons I wanted to take. I think ballet and piano lessons are good to develop child's creativity and sense of art. Instead of letting my parents tell me what lessons I should take, I told them what I thought good for myself. But my mum never thought that it was for the benefit of myself. Could she rejected it for the benefit of herself? I could only wonder... Until now, she still thinks she knows what's best for me. And I still try my best to make her understand that what I really want is going to bring me some good. Maybe she's being (too) protective. I know she means good, but somehow it's you yourself who knows what's best for you. When I told her I wanted to learn Dutch she against it at first. It's only after I told her, "Mum, I'm going to be the only person in our big family who could speak Dutch, aren't you going to be proud of that?" then she said OK. It's true, I want her to be proud of me, I want it so bad. Although I can't understand her and I'm sure she doesn't understand me well either, I still love her. It's never easy being a mum, that's what I have to understand. She may be hard to please or nags about useless things but she's loving and caring, cooks delicious food, says a lot of "No" to me, etc, etc, etc, but most of all, she's my mum. I only know one mum and I couldn't ask for more.

No comments: