Saturday, August 21, 2004

Hush

"When you're in Rome live in the Roman style; when you're elsewhere live as they live elsewhere." ~ Advice to St. Augustine from St. Ambrose, A.D 340-397
I read from the newspaper today, a foregin journalist is in Athens for the Olympics games and one day he is visiting Benaki Museum. At the museum he is often disturbed by the sound of ringing cell phone from other visitors. Ring Ring Ring says the cell phone. The owner of the cell phone becomes aware that her cell phone is ringing. Ring Ring Ring says the cell phone. She slowly opens the zipper of her bag. Ring Ring Ring says the cell phone. She rummages through her bag looking for the ringing thing. Another Ring Ring Ring says the cell phone. Finally, she reaches for the cell phone. Do you still need another ring? Ring Ring Ring says the cell phone. She presses the button and starts to talk. The journalist thinks, 'Pheew, at last! I don't have to hear another ringing sound anymore.' Bad news for him because the woman talks in a very loud voice and it disturbes him again. He can't understand why some people have to make such noises in such public places where everything should be done quietly. When the woman stops talking, it is another man's turn and he talks loudly and everybody, everybody can hear what he's talking about. Then the journalist remembers the words St. Ambrose said to St. Augustine and thinks, yeah maybe it's ok for people in here to make such noises in the museums.
But what about in the library? We all know that thou shalt not speak loudly in the library. Even little kids know that. In movies I often see people whisper in the library and even the sound of laughters are soon followed by "HUSH!" And such condition that I want UNPAR library to have. I like the library but not the visitors. I mean, hey come on, you all are grown ups and you still don't know the rule in the library? Once a guy's cell phone was ringing and he picked it up and answered,"I'm in the library. IN THE LIBRARY!!" Good grief, you don't shout in the library! When I go there I always make sure that find a seat in a place where no one is around. Or I try to look for architecture or civil engineering students. They all seem quiet and serious, the type of people I want to be around when I'm in a library. So one day, I found a perfect spot. An architecture student was reading his book and no one had taken the seat in front of him so I went there. Few minutes later, he left! And his place was replaced by some girls who couldn't even shut up. So I got off my chair and started to looking for new place to read my book. I found one and in front of me sat a girl I know, or as far as I know I think she's a quiet one. 10 minutes later her friend came and they began to involve in such a hilarious chat. There's no 'safe' place for me in UNPAR library.

Face the fact, maybe long before we have this modern libary, St. Ambrose already knew that his words would always outrank library's rules.

No comments: