Sunday, May 02, 2004

Fate and Luck

"I don't think the world is something created coincidentally, Hans Thomas." "Aku tak berpikir bahwa dunia merupakan sebuah hal yang kebetulan, Hans Thomas." ~The Solitaire Mystery
"I think luck is the main factor that counts the most to someone's success." Norah Jones

I was reading The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder and the sentences made me stopped reading and thought that, everything in this world happens for a reason. Norah Jones' words made me pull a face. I met a friend who got the highest mark for his mid-test and said that it was a beginner’s luck. He thinks just like what Jones does. Why wouldn’t they think that all the achievement they got is because they work hard on it? He must have studied hard, that’s why he deserved to have the highest mark. Why wouldn’t he think like that? I feel that I have a different point of view with them. Luck and fate, they’re different. Some people still believe that luck plays an important role in their lives. Jones may believe in luck, but I don't. I don't even believe all things that goes along with it too, e.g lucky charm. I don't believe that luck is responsible for what happens to me. Things I achieved is determined by my efforts, my ability. I believe in fate, things that happened to me are fated to happen. Everything that happens in this world is meant to happen. For example, there is this British who placed all his savings on a roulette game and won. Now, would you think it’s just luck or he’s meant to win? Some ppl may find it confusing to differentiate between luck and fate but I think luck doesn't play any roles in my life. When I was accepted at UNPAR, some ppl often said,'Oh you're so lucky to be accepted, I heard the bar exam is a killer.' The bar exam is a killer but I think I deserve to be accepted, I've worked so hard on it. It meant to happen to me. You can’t say things that you don’t have because you’re out of luck. You don’t have it because it’s not meant to happen to you. Cherish the things you have, for you deserve to have it and whatever things that don’t come to your want, you need to know that it’s meant for your own good. Someone once said this to me,”I’m grateful to the things God has given me, and for the things I lost, I never had regrets on it. Instead, I’m grateful I had it, for Lord gave me the chance to have it, even if it only happened for such short period of time.”Be grateful for the things you have, things you lost, and things you don’t have.

No comments: